It wasn't all that difficult really (although I had problems towards the end). But here it is step by step (I can't show you exactly step by step without making another one so I'll be recycling the original photos).
So this is what the vorpal blade, from the game, should look like:
So to start with I cut a piece of foam board (but cardboard would work just as well) in to the shape of a slightly over sized chef's knife.
Then I covered it all in a couple of layers of papier-mache. Covering the blade part is simple enough.
I used more papier-mache to bulk out the handle and to create the guard, where the handle and the blade meet. Just make your papier-mache more like pulp and add to those areas until you have them in the desired shape (you could also use bits of cardboard to bulk out the handle). Then go back to your more strip-like papier-mache over the top to kind of secure it while it dries.
Once it had dried and I was sure I was happy with the handle shape I did another layer of papier-mache only this time I used kitchen roll - this was so the newspaper didn't show through when I painted it.
|My camera clearly didn't like my duvet cover|
For some reason I didn't take a photo of the blade after painting but before adding the patterns.
I managed to find some close up images of the blade online to copy the patterns from. I vaguely sketched out the pattern (I had to do that in pen as pencil didn't show up properly - hence me vaguely sketching it).
Then I drew the pattern on in silver and gold permanent markers - drawing the pattern on the blade was easier than the handle owing to the blade being flat. I also went along the edge of the knife (the bit that would be sharp) in silver marker pen.
Again following online images I copied the blood splatter on to the knife using acrylic paint (this was a crimsony colour that I mixed the tiniest bit of blue in to to make it look more like blood.
Then I covered the whole thing in a thin layer of pva glue... which is where my problems began.
I couldn't be bother to redo the patterns on the handle (but my hand would be covering that, most of the time, so it didn't really matter).
I think that is all I did.